Bubble & squeak hamburgers
Cooks In25 minutes
Nutrition per serving
Calories 558 28%
Fat 20.2g 29%
Saturates 6.4g 32%
Sugars 18.6g 21%
Protein 28.2g 56%
Carbs 59.5g 23%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 1 red onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 600 g mixed leftover roast veg, including potatoes, swede, parsnips, carrots, sprouts
- 280 g higher-welfare cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 English muffins or rolls
- 1 handful of lettuce leaves, such as baby cos, frisée
- ketchup , optional
By Andy Harris
- Peel and slice the onion, then place in a small bowl. Cover with the vinegar and set aside.
- Mash all the veg well with a potato masher, then shred add the ham and season generously. Mix together well, then shape into 4 burgers and chill in the fridge to firm up, until ready to use.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the burgers, in batches if needed, for 3 to 5 minutes each side or until crisping up and turning golden brown.
- To serve, slice the muffins or burger rolls in half and fill with the bubble and squeak hamburgers, pickled red onion, lettuce and ketchup, if desired.