Rice & lentil-stuffed aubergines
Cooks In1 hour 10 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 302 15%
Fat 14.8g 21%
Saturates 4.4g 22%
Sugars 20.8g 23%
Salt 0.9g 15%
Protein 9.7g 19%
Carbs 35.5g 14%
Fibre 6.3g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 2 large classic aubergines
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 100 g cooked brown basmati rice
- 150 g cooked green lentils
- 50 g raisins
- 80 g feta cheese
- Sweet tomato sauce
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
By Joss Herd
- Slice the aubergines in half lengthways through the stalk, then peel and finely chop the garlic and onion. Pick the dill.
- Bring a pan of water to a simmer over a medium-high heat. Add the aubergines, pop on the lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are tender. Take them out and drain well on kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- When the aubergines are cool enough to handle, scrape out the flesh with a spoon, being careful not to pierce the skin. Roughly chop the flesh and place it in a large bowl, and arrange the skins in a baking dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan over a low-medium heat, then add the garlic and onion and gently fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until soft. Stir in the cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the garlicky onion to the bowl of aubergine along with the cooked rice, lentils, raisins and half of the dill, mix well and season to taste.
- Stuff the aubergine skins with the rice mixture, and place them back in the baking dish. Drizzle over oil and roast for 25 minutes, until golden.
- To make the tomato sauce, place all of the ingredients in a pan over a low-medium heat and simmer gently for 4 to 5 minutes, until thickened. Blitz with a hand blender until smooth.
- Spoon the sauce over the stuffed aubergines and serve with the feta crumbled over and the remaining dill scattered on top.