Warm potato, herring, beetroot & apple salad
Cooks In1 hour
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 324 16%
Fat 19.1g 27%
Saturates 1.9g 10%
Sugars 11.6g 13%
Protein 11.4g 23%
Carbs 24.7g 10%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 200 g beetroot
- 500 g Ratte or other waxy potatoes
- 1 small apple
- 2 marinated herring fillets , (see note) or 8-12 pieces from a jar, from sustainable sources
- a few fresh chives
- ½ tablspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch of granulated sugar
- 1 lug of sparkling water
By Andy Harris
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the Dijon mustard, oil, red wine vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper, then whisk until it’s well blended.
- Add the sparkling water to loosen the mixture, then whisk again and set aside.
- Scrub, trim and cook the beetroot in a pan of boiling salted water for 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
- In another pan of boiling salted water, cook the unpeeled potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander, then slice while still warm.
- Drain and allow the beetroot to cool slightly, then peel and slice. Very finely slice the apple into wafer-thin pieces. Slice the herring fillets diagonally.
- Divide the potato, beetroot, apple slices and herring fillets or pieces between 4 serving plates.
- Drizzle over the vinaigrette, chop and scatter over the chives and serve while the potatoes are still warm.