Celery alla parmigiana
We are searching data for your request:
Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Cooks In1 hour 20 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 117 6%
Fat 6.5g 9%
Saturates 3.2g 16%
Sugars 4.3g 5%
Protein 7.8g 16%
Carbs 5.3g 2%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 4 celery hearts
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 rashers of higher-welfare smoked pancetta or streaky bacon
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 x 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 75 g Parmesan cheese
By Pete Begg
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- Trim the bases of the celery hearts with a sharp knife or a speed-peeler and peel the outer stalks, keeping each heart in 1 piece. Trim the ends so the hearts are 12 to 15cm long. Cut the celery lengthways into quarters, then across in half.
- Peel and slice the onion lengthways, and peel and finely chop the garlic. Pick and finely chop the thyme leaves, then chop the pancetta or bacon
- Place a saucepan over a medium heat and add a splash of oil. Add the onion and pancetta or bacon, and cook for a few minutes until the onion is soft. Add the celery and cook with the lid on until the celery is soft.
- Heat another pan and add a splash of oil. Add the garlic and fennel seeds, then, when the garlic’s golden brown, tip in the tomatoes. Fill the tomato tin with water and add that, along with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Cook the sauce over a medium heat for half an hour or so, until reduced and thick.
- When the celery’s soft, remove the lid and let the ingredients brown slightly on the bottom of the pan.
- Lightly oil a shallow 20cm x 20cm baking dish and spoon a little tomato sauce in the bottom. Spread it out and top with about a third of the celery pieces. Cover with more tomato sauce, some thyme leaves and a good grating of Parmesan. Keep layering, then finish with the last of the tomato sauce, lots of cheese and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until heated through and crisp on top.