Beef hash cakes with chipotle yoghurt
Cooks In30 minutes plus chilling
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 468 23%
Fat 28.2g 40%
Saturates 8g 40%
Sugars 3.4g 4%
Protein 20.3g 41%
Carbs 36.8g 14%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 150 g leftover braised beef , such as shin, feather or brisket
- 2 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- a few fresh chives
- 1 large gherkin
- 200 g cold mashed potato
- ½ tablespoon English mustard
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 75 g panko breadcrumbs
- 200 ml groundnut oil
By Joss Herd
- Shred the beef, then roughly chop the parsley leaves, chives and gherkins.
- Place in a large bowl with the mashed potato, mustard and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then mix until combined.
- Using your hands, roll it into four balls, before flattening each one into a patty.
- Set out three shallow dishes. Put the flour in the first and season, beat the eggs in the second, and add the panko breadcrumbs in the third.
- Roll each patty in the flour, then the egg, shaking off any excess, then the breadcrumbs, until well coated. Pop them on a plate, cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the patties gently for 4 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp.
- In a serving bowl, mix the yoghurt and Tabasco, then serve it alongside the beef hash cakes. Delicious with dressed rocket and a poached egg.