Cooks In1 hour 10 minutes plus chilling
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 407 20%
Fat 16.2g 23%
Saturates 9.4g 47%
Sugars 36.5g 41%
Protein 5.2g 10%
Carbs 59.2g 23%
Of an adult's reference intake
- unsalted butter , for greasing
- 30 g molasses
- 400 g golden syrup
- 100 g porridge oats
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon
- 2 large free-range eggs
- SWEET PASTRY
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 90 g sugar
- 280 g flour , plus extra for dusting
By Union Jacks
- For the pastry, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Gently mix in the flour to form a paste – this pastry is very soft.
- Gently form a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/gas 2½ and grease a round 22cm tart tin with a removeable base.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm thick.
- Line the tin with the pastry, prick the base with a fork and blind bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and spread the molasses over the base.
- Warm the golden syrup in a pan over a low heat. Blitz the oats in a food processor and add most of them to the syrup with most of the breadcrumbs, reserving a handful of each.
- Add the lemon zest and juice and stir to combine. Beat and stir in the eggs, making sure the syrup mixture isn’t too hot.
- Pour the mixture into the case and sprinkle over the remaining breadcrumbs and oats.
- Cook in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes until the filling has lightly set and the top is a deep golden colour.
- Cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes, then serve with double cream.